Learn About Tibet

Copy of FAQ

How do I get to Tibet?

You can enter the TAR by plane from other Chinese cities—Chengdu, Xian, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Qamdo and Kathmandu. The train that originates in Beijing, the highest railway in the world, is also a lifetime experience—with stops at Beijing, Chengdu, Chongqing, Xiling, Lanzhou, Shanghai and Guangzhou. We can help you purchase train tickets.

To visit the regions of Tibet outside the TAR, they are easily accessible from Chengdu and Xiling.

What's the best time of year to visit?

The best time mid May, June and early July. Also, from September until October 10—a Chinese national holiday when thousands of people come for the Shoten Festival and Lhasa is very crowded.

What is the best form of communication?

Mobile, mobile, mobile. Ask any nomad!

If your phone is unblocked, you can buy a Chinese sim card and if not, you can buy an international text messaging and call plan from your provider.

Hotels and Internet cafes offer Internet service. No problem.

What documents and permits do I need for TAR?

You must have a Chinese visa and a Tibet Travel Permit (TTP). The TTP is issued by the Tibet Tourist Bureau in Lhasa. Road to Tibet Travel Services will apply for your TTP on your behalf about three weeks before your entry date and deliver the TTP to you in Chengdu 9or elsewhere). If you're boarding a train to Lhasa, a copy of the TTP is sufficient but for flying, you must have the original TTP.

If entering from China, the TTP application requires:
1) Color copy of your passport's front page where your personal information is written.
2) Color copy of your China visa. If you have a category L visa (tourist visa), you don’t need any further documents but if you have other categories such as F, Q or S, you must provide a letter from your company or organization. We can advise you on how to complete the China visa application.

If entering from Nepal:
1) Color copy of your passport's front page where your personal information is written.
2) Do not apply for your Chinese visa from your home country. You must apply for your China visa while in Nepal. There are agents in Kathmandu to help you.

How can I avoid altitude sickness?

It's unpredictable who will experience altitude symptoms such as nausea, headache, dizziness, fatigue, and insomnia. Even very fit people can have symptoms. In most cases, it takes about three days to adjust. You can also visit a Tibetan doctor for help and purchase oxygen bottles. Many people bring Diamox, a prescription drug.

For the first few days, it's very important to give your body a chance to adjust to the lack of oxygen. This means walking slowly and avoiding physical exertion. And most importantly, not joking, drink gallons of bottled water. It's the best medicine to help your body adjust.